Potatoes and Peas Pulao Ingredients
- 4 Medium size potatoes, peeled and cut into cubes
- 1 cup of peas
- 2 cups of Basmati rice wash and soak for about 20 minutes
- 1 cup red onions sliced thin
- half a tomato chopped fine (about 2 tbsp)
- 4 green chilies
- 1/2 cup of mint leaves chopped
- 6 garlic cloves
- 2 inch piece of ginger
- 2 tbsp of cocount
- 2 red chilies
- 1 tsp of turmeric powder
- 1 tsp of chicken masala powder(any masala powder will work) or use a small piece of cinnamon and few cloves
- 2 tsp of oil
Serve with yogurt or raita on the side.
- In a pressure cooker heat about 1/4 tsp of oil when hot, saute the garlic and ginger for a minute or two. Remove to a blender and blend to a paste with the red chilies and coconut to a smooth paste.
- Add the remaining of the oil add the onions and green chilies and saute the onions till the onions are translucent and just about to start to brown.
- Add in the potatoes and fry them for 3-4 minutes till they start to brown a bit.
- Add the mint leaves and saute till the leaves are wilted.
- Add the turmeric and masala powder and saute for a minute.
- Add the tomatoes and salt and let the tomatoes cook till they are soft.
- Now add the rice and saute for another 3-4 minutes. Add the peas and enough water for the rice to cook.
- Let the water come to a boil and rice be about half cooked. Close the lid, add the weight and in medium heat cook for about 8 minutes. Remove from the heat.
- When coll gently fluff the rice.
Sunday, October 14, 2012
Potatoes and Peas Pulao
Weekday meals have to be quick and if the vegetables and rice can all go in one pot even better. I end up cooking one pot meals at least once a week which means a handy couple of recipes is a good thing. Not too hard but something that takes less than 20 minutes of prep time. This is one of those recipes that was conjured on the spur of the moment when I wanted to use potatoes and mint leaves.